Rice Cooker Egg and Shrimp Fried Rice
Substitute broccoli stems for the peas to add similar color and a hint of sweetness to the rice. Thinly slice the broccoli stems and then dice to smaller bits. Prepared in this way, they can be such a wonderful addition to many rice dishes.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 18 minutesTotal: 33 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. oil, divided use
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 12 shrimp, peeled, deveined, and diced
- 4 cups warm cooked rice
- 1 tsp. dark soy sauce
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 scallion, sliced on bias
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- Add 1½ tablespoons of the oil to the rice cooker, cover, and set to Cook. When the base of the cooker pot gets warm, add the garlic and peas and sauté for about 5 minutes until the peas turn tender and cook through. Dish out and set aside.
- With the rice cooker still on Cook, add the remaining 1½ tablespoons of oil. When the base of the pot gets warm, add the eggs. Scramble the eggs gently in the pot.
- Add the shrimp and fry for about 8 minutes until shrimp cook through (turn pink) and egg is cooked.
- Add the cooked rice, soy sauce, and pea mixture to the pot and mix well with the eggs and shrimp.
- Keep the rice cooker at Warm for about 15 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Garnish with green onion and red chili.