Rice Cooker Lemon Parmesan Rice
This is best served as a side dish with grilled fish and roasted vegetables.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 tsp. grated Parmesan, divided
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- Rinse rice well by gently swirling the rice in the cooker pot with 2 or 3 changes of cold water until the water is not “cloudy” anymore. Drain rice and set aside in a separate bowl.
- Add the butter to the rice cooker, cover, and set to Cook. When the base of the cooker pot gets warm, add the shallots and fry about 5 minutes until shallots are soft.
- Add the rinsed rice and stir to coat the rice well with butter and shallots. Add the water or chicken stock to the rice, cover the rice cooker, and cook until the rice is done. (Cooking time varies with the type of rice cooker used. Most automatic rice cookers will switch to Warm when the rice is cooked.)
- When the rice is done, add the lemon zest and 1⁄4 cup Parmesan and drizzle lemon juice into the rice. Mix well by fluffing up the rice.
- Sprinkle salt and black pepper on the rice. Keep the rice cooker at Warm for about 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon Parmesan to serve.