Rice Cooker Mushroom and Barley Soup
The earthy flavors of this dish make it the perfect start to a hearty meal, or it also works as a meal in itself.
Serves: 3Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 cups water
- 2 oz. washed and cleaned pearl barley, soaked about 4 hours before using
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 12 cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Fill the rice cooker pot with 4 cups water. Cover the rice cooker and set to Cook. When water boils, add the barley, cover rice cooker, and boil about 25 minutes until barley softens. Strain the barley, reserving 2 cups of barley water. Set aside.
- Clean out the rice cooker and wipe dry. Add the oil to the rice cooker, cover, and set to Cook. When the base of the cooker pot gets warm, add the shallots and fry about 3 minutes until slightly soft.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms turn slightly tender, covering rice cooker occasionally in the process of frying.
- Add the butter and mix well with mushrooms. Add the cooked barley and reserved barley water, beef stock, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Mix well, cover rice cooker, and allow to come to boil.
- Once boiling, switch to Warm and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes until mushrooms become tender. Remove bay leaves before serving.