Rice Cooker Peanut Sauce
Bottled peanut sauce is readily available in Asian supermarkets. However, if you make your own, you can control the ingredients much better. Add some pineapple cubes to the peanut sauce as a variation.
Serves: 5Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 8 dried red chili peppers
- 8 medium shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 3 Tbsp. coconut milk
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- Trim root end and bulb off of lemongrass. Peel away and discard tough outer leaves. Slice stalk into thin rounds.
- Add lemongrass to the bowl of a food processor with the chilies, shallots, garlic, and 1 tablespoon oil in food processor until mixture is finely chopped.
- Add remaining oil in the rice cooker. Cover the rice cooker and set to Cook. When base of rice cooker pot is warm, add the blended mixture and sauté for about 3 minutes until fragrant, covering rice cooker occasionally in the process.
- Add the peanut butter, coconut milk, salt, and sugar. Cover rice cooker and bring to a slight simmer. Switch to Warm when mixture starts to bubble and stir well until sauce thickens. Transfer to a bowl and allow sauce to cool.