Rice Cooker Potato and Chorizo Soup
Compared to soups such as minestrone, this soup is heartier due to the addition of the potato and meat. Substitute the chorizo with salami as a variation and to suit your preference.
Serves: 3Hands-on: 18 minutesTotal: 43 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 spicy chorizo sausages cut to 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 3 cups tightly packed, finely shredded cabbage
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp. smoked paprika
- Add the oil to the rice cooker, cover, and set to Cook. When the base of the cooker pot gets warm, add the shallots, garlic, and chorizo. Fry for about 8 minutes until the onions turn soft and the sausage is browned at the edges, covering rice cooker occasionally in the process of frying.
- Add the potatoes and cabbage and continue to fry about 8 minutes until cabbage turns slightly tender, covering rice cooker occasionally in the process of frying.
- Add water or stock to the pot, cover the rice cooker, and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper.
- When the mixture is boiling, switch the rice cooker to Warm and simmer for 25 minutes until potatoes cook through. Sprinkle with paprika for added spice.