Rice Cooker Red Lentil Soup
This hearty soup is the perfect meal for a busy weeknight or a midweek lunch.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ⅛ tsp. red chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ can (14½ oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup red lentils, soaked overnight
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Add the butter to the rice cooker, cover, and set to Cook. When the base of the cooker pot gets warm and butter melts, add the onions and fry about 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and fry about 3 minutes until fragrant, covering rice cooker occasionally in the process of frying.
- Add chili powder and cumin and fry briskly for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato paste, tomatoes, lentils, and stock. Cover rice cooker and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, switch to Warm and continue to simmer for about 20 minutes. Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro.