Rice Stuffed Zucchini
Basmati rice has a slightly nutty flavor that adds to the flavor of the stuffing.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 small zucchinis
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and place the halves in a microwave-safe dish, cut side down. Pour in just enough water to cover the bottom of the dish and par-cook in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes on high heat; let cool slightly.
- Heat the oil to medium temperature in a medium-size stockpot. Add the shallot, garlic, and rice; toss in the oil until slightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in the wine and let reduce for about 1 minute.
- Add the stock and simmer for approximately 20 minutes, until the rice is thoroughly cooked.
- When the rice is cooked, remove from heat and stir in the lemon zest, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the zucchini halves and place on baking sheet; bake in the oven until the zucchini is reheated, about 5 to 8 minutes.