This rice tamale delicacy, made with flavorful beef, vegetables and seasoning, is the perfect appetizer for your party or special occasion. Take your time and get the whole family involved in crafting each tamale for an unforgettable holiday memory!
Serves: 14Prep: 2 hours 30 minutesCook: 1 hour 30 minutesTotal: 4 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups Kroger Brand Long Grain Rice
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. beef broth, divided
- 1⁄2 cup lard, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 packages Seasoning with Culantro and Achiote
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef chuck roast, cooked and shredded
- 14 banana leaves, cut into 10”x11” rectangles
- Kitchen twine
- In bowl, combine rice, 1 cup warm water and 1 cup beef broth. Let soak 2 hours.
- In food processor, add rice with water and beef broth, lard and salt. Process until a paste is formed. Set aside.
- In skillet, add oil and garlic, red bell peppers and plum tomatoes. Sauté until tomatoes are tender. Stir in Seasoning with Culantro and Achiote, 2 tablespoons beef broth and shredded beef. Cook until beef broth evaporates.
- In center of each banana leaf rectangle, place 3 tablespoons rice mixture. Press gently to spread rice mixture. Place 1 tablespoon of beef filling in center.
- To create packet, fold the sides of the banana leaves inward, then the bottom and top edges. Tie with kitchen twine.
- In deep steamer, add water to just below the bottom of the rack. To prevent water from touching the tamales, cover rack with a layer of banana leaves cut into pieces.
- Place tamales next to each other in layers. Cover steamer and cook on medium heat for 1 hour and 15 minutes until tamales are firm. Serve warm.