Rich Baked Beans
On the coldest day of winter, simmer these beans in the oven to fill your home with warmth and a fabulous aroma.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 5 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. pinto beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. mustard
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup ketchup
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ cup molasses
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Place the beans in a large soup pot and cover with cold water; bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Simmer the beans uncovered for 1½ hours, then drain, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Pour the beans into a 3-quart Dutch oven and mix in the onion, salt, mustard, brown sugar, ketchup, tomato paste, molasses, and pepper.
- Add enough reserved bean liquid to just cover the beans. Cover and bake until the mixture is thick and the beans are tender, 3½–4 hours. Check the pot a few times during baking to make sure that the beans do not dry out; add reserved cooking liquid as necessary.