Rich Caramel, Pecan, and Coffee Sauce
Save to My Recipes
This rich and crunchy sauce was made for ice cream. Try it over your favorite gluten-free coffee cake for a truly decadent breakfast treat.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. egg substitute
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3½ Tbsp. water, divided
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 cup pecan halves
- ⅓ cup brewed medium blend coffee
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup superfine sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 225°F. Grease a large baking sheet.
- Whisk the egg substitute, granulated sugar, and ½ tablespoon water until fluffy. Stir in the cinnamon, salt, and pecans. Spread the pecan mixture evenly over the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk the coffee and cream together. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk brown sugar, superfine sugar, and 3 tablespoons water together. Heat over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves. Cook until the sugar is golden in color, about 4–5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in ¼ cup of the coffee mixture, stirring until thickened. Keep adding the coffee mixture, whisking very well after each addition. Let cool slightly and then whisk in the butter and pumpkin pie spice.
- Stir in the crunchy pecans and serve immediately.