Rich Chocolate Fudge Cake
Serves: 10Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2¼ cups sifted cake flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 cup ice water
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 2 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 2 or 3 Tbsp. light cream
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line 2 round cake pans (8") with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with the cocoa. Gradually add the sugar, beating until fluffy and light. Add the vanilla. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift together the sifted flour and baking powder into another bowl. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the ice water, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, beating well after each addition. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold into the batter. Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto racks and let cool completely.
- While the cake cools, make the frosting: In a bowl, cream the butter until light. Gradually stir in 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, then the melted chocolate, and then the rest of the sugar as needed. Stir in the vanilla, salt, and enough cream to create a good frosting consistency. Blend well.
- Stack and frost the layers as desired.