Rich Chocolate Fudge Cake
A rich, buttery, chocolate cake needs an equally decadent frosting. Here is the perfect combination.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup softened butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 cup ice water
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 2 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. light cream
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line 2 round cake pans (8 inches) with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- In a large bowl, beat 3⁄4 cup butter with the cocoa. Gradually add the granulated sugar, beating until fluffy and light. Add 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift together the sifted flour and baking powder into another bowl. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the ice water, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, beating well after each addition. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold into the batter. Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto racks and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, cream remaining 1⁄4 cup butter until light. Gradually stir in 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, then the melted chocolate, and then the remaining confectioners' sugar as needed. Stir in remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla, salt, and cream. Blend well.
- Stack and frost the layers as desired.