The corn and cornmeal make this a high-fiber bread, and adding a diced red bell pepper to the batter will add color and vitamin C.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup cake flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 2 1⁄4 tsp. baking powder
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 3 egg whites
- 7⁄8 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a loaf pan, then dust it with cornmeal.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together egg yolks, cream, half-and-half, and corn kernels.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and let sit for 20 minutes. Stir again after 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites to soft peaks. Fold whipped egg whites into batter, then fold in melted butter. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 45 to 60 minutes.