Rich Strawberry Shortcake
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- In a medium bowl, combine strawberries with 1⁄4 cup sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and, using a pastry blender, cut in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg and cream in a small bowl and stir to combine. Add all at once to the flour mixture and stir only to moisten. Fold in almonds.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured work surface. Knead gently for 1 minute. Pat or roll out the dough 1⁄2 inch thick. Using a floured 2 1⁄2-inch round or fluted cutter, cut out 6 biscuits. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove to a rack to cool for about 3 minutes, then split horizontally into 2 layers. Top bottom layers with strawberry mixture and whipped cream. Place top layer over whipped cream. Serve warm.