Rich Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
This version of vanilla ice cream incorporates a generous amount of egg yolks to add a true richness and very developed flavor. The addition of a steeped vanilla bean not only increases the flavor but adds the speckled appearance that many people love to see in homemade ice cream.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 11 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, salt, vanilla bean seeds, and empty bean pod. Stir over medium heat. Once simmering, remove from heat, cover, and allow to steep for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove bean pod. Reheat milk mixture over medium-low heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. Once milk mixture is hot, temper the yolks by adding half of the mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan, and heat until thickened.
- Pour heavy cream into a large mixing bowl over an ice bath. Strain custard into the cream, stirring until cooled. Add vanilla extract, stir, and place in refrigerator until thoroughly chilled, about 5 hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing.