Ricotta and Beef Stuffed Shells
You can freeze the stuffed shells individually, then and baked them as needed in sauce.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 slices white bread
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 box (12 oz.) jumbo pasta shells, uncooked
- 2 jars (24 oz.) marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a skillet, brown ground beef and onion for 7 to 10 minutes or until meat is thoroughly cooked. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Drain if needed. Put ground beef mixture in large mixing bowl. Add bread (torn into small pieces), mozzarella cheese, ricotta, egg, milk, and Italian seasoning to the mixing bowl. Mix well. Carefully stuff each shell with meat mixture.
- Put 1 cup of marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Place a layer of shells over the sauce and top with the remaining sauce. Spread 1 cup mozzarella cheese over shells. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 375°F for 40 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 10 minutes.