This is a quick rye flatbread from Finland that is sometimes made with oats or potatoes. Rieska is a nice accompaniment to a bowl of hot soup!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup soymilk powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups plus 1 Tbsp. rye flour, divided
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mix soymilk powder with water until well blended. This is meant to substitute for evaporated milk, so it will be thicker than regular soymilk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups rye flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder. Stir in soymilk mixture and melted margarine until smooth. Turn onto a greased cookie sheet and pat to a 14" circle, about ½" thick. Dust with remaining tablespoon of rye flour.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve hot.