Rigatoni with Arrabbiata Sauce
“Angry” is the name of this sauce and red pepper flakes are the reason. It’s hot and can be hotter, depending on how much pepper is added—a personal decision. Either more or less than what is called for in this recipe can be used. It depends how angry you are!
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 oz. pancetta, cut into very thin strips
- 1 can (28 oz.) Italian plum tomatoes, with juice, chopped
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 lb. cooked rigatoni
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and cook until golden, not brown. Add the pancetta and cook through, but do not brown. Add the tomatoes, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened. Stir frequently to prevent scorching.
- Add basil and pasta to the sauce. Serve hot.