Rigatoni with Asparagus
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. thin fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2" pieces
- 2 tsp. plus 1 Tbsp. salt, divided
- ¼ cup virgin olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1½ lbs. tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 lb. rigatoni
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. freshly grated pecorino romano cheese, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add 2 tsp. salt. Blanch the asparagus in boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain and reserve.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until golden but not brown. Add the tomatoes, stir well, and bring to just below a simmer. Cook for 8 minutes. Remove from heat heat.
- In a large pot, bring at least 4 quarts of water to a rolling boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Add the rigatoni, stir to separate, and cook until al dente. Drain. Immediately transfer the rigatoni to a warm deep bowl and add the asparagus. Toss gently. Add 1 cup cheese and combine well. Add the eggs and mix thoroughly.
- When the pasta and asparagus are completely coated with eggs and cheese, add the tomato sauce and toss until thoroughly combined. Top with remaining cheese.