Rigatoni with Basil and Tomato Pesto
This recipe is designed to make extra sauce to save and serve with pasta on another night. To turn this into a dish for 4, increase the amount of rigatoni to 3 cups and use all the sauce.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups rigatoni pasta
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed, peeled, and finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 1 large tomato, chopped with reserved juice
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until tender but still firm (al dente). Drain.
- Process the garlic and pine nuts in a food processor. One at a time, add and process the tomato with its juice and basil leaves. Slowly add the olive oil and keep processing until the pesto is creamy. Add the grated Parmesan cheese. Pour half the pesto sauce over the cooked pasta. Store the remaining pesto sauce in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.