Rillettes de Saumon (Salmon Spread)
This recipe has been seen a lot in the last decades in France, offered as a healthier alternative to pork rillettes!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 12 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ lbs. fresh salmon fillets, with no skin
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1¼ cups plain yogurt
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 5 oz. smoked salmon, diced
- 6 Tbsp. salted butter, diced, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. chives, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Fill a large saucepan with water, bring to a boil over high heat, then poach the salmon fillets in the water for 8 minutes. Take them out with a slotted spoon and put them in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Dice the smoked salmon slices into pieces of about ½". In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks, the olive oil, yogurt, and the lemon juice.
- In a large bowl, crumble the poached salmon with your fingers. Take the bones out.
- Add the smoked salmon and use a fork to combine with the poached salmon. Add the butter, the minced chives, and salt and pepper, and combine well with the fork. Add the egg yolk and yogurt mixture. Stir well.
- Pour into a meatloaf pan, or into small ramekins. Wrap in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
- Serve cold.