Risi e Bisi – Italian Rice and Peas
This classic Italian dish is made with rice, peas, and pancetta.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 3 Tbsp. pancetta, diced
- 1½ cups short-grain rice
- 2 cans (10 oz.) chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. finely sliced fresh basil
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In heavy saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until onion is translucent, about 7 minutes. Add pancetta; cook and stir until browned on edges. Add rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and water and bring to a boil. Cover pan, reduce heat, and simmer mixture for 15–20 minutes, until rice is almost tender. Add peas, cover, and cook over medium-low heat until peas are hot and rice is tender, 3–5 minutes.
- Off heat, remove cover and sprinkle with black pepper and basil. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.