Risotto is a versatile recipe that serves as a base for many side dishes. After the rice is cooked you can add cheese or seasonal cooked vegetables, such as mushrooms, butternut squash, or asparagus. Arborio rice must be used for this recipe because it has more starch, which provides the velvety texture to the finished dish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup diced onion
- 8 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 6 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the onion in the butter until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add rice to onion and sauté for a few minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine chicken broth and water. Add ½ cup broth to rice mixture, stirring constantly over medium-high heat until most of the liquid evaporates. Repeat with the rest of the broth mixture in ½ cup increments. It will take about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese, pepper, and salt.