Risotto with Cheese and Baby Spinach
Classically, whole milk and plenty of butter would be used in this recipe. This healthy version is just as delicious.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1½ cups Arborio rice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1½ Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 10 oz. baby spinach
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the broth and milk in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until the mixture begins to simmer. Reduce heat to low.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic. Add the rice and stir to coat.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, nutmeg, lemon juice, and zest. Add the hot milk/broth combination, ½ cup at a time. Let the rice absorb the liquid before adding more. When all but ½ cup of the liquid has been incorporated into the rice, stir in the spinach.
- Cook the spinach, adding the final ½ cup of liquid. Stir in the cheese and serve immediately.