Risotto with Lemons and Mascarpone Cheese
Making risotto is a Sunday afternoon operation unless you are preparing for a dinner party.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ Meyer lemon or ¼ regular lemon, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1½ cups Italian short-grain Arborio rice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ cup chopped basil
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. mascarpone cheese
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- Heat the butter in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Sauté the lemon pieces quickly and add the rice. Stir to coat. Add the salt, pepper, and basil. Stir in the broth ½ cup at a time. Add more broth as the rice absorbs the liquid.
- As soon as the liquid is absorbed, add another ½ cup of hot broth. When all of the broth is absorbed, remove the lemon pieces. Stir in the mascarpone cheese and top with lemon zest.