Risotto with Winter Squash
Sweet and tender squash combines wonderfully with sage, onion, and leeks in this creamy risotto. This could be the main dish for a vegetarian dinner.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 cups fat-free vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried sage leaves
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground white pepper
- 1½ cups Arborio rice
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Place broth in medium saucepan; place over low heat. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add squash; cook and stir until squash begins to brown, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes longer until onion is translucent.
- Stir in sage, salt, pepper, and rice; cook and stir for 3 minutes longer. Slowly add warm broth, ½ cup at a time, stirring frequently. When rice is al dente and squash is tender, add the cheese, butter, and parsley, cover, and remove from heat.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then stir and serve immediately.