Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2¼ lbs. lean boneless beef roast, visible fat removed
- 1 Tbsp. olive or canola oil
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp. salt-free chili powder
- ⅛ tsp. dried thyme
- 1 small white onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium-size carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 large stalk celery, sliced
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Treat a roasting pan with nonstick spray.
- Pat the roast dry with paper towels. Add the oil, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, and thyme to a small bowl and mix well. Rub the oil mixture onto the meat.
- Place the meat in the center of the prepared pan and arrange the onion, carrot, and celery around it. Pour the wine over the vegetables. Insert the probe of a meat thermometer into the center of thickest part of the roast. Roast, uncovered, to desired doneness. For rare, cook until internal temperature is 125°F for well-done, 170°F, approximately 1¼ hours.
- Remove the roast from pan to a cutting board or serving platter. Tent with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from pan juices with a slotted spoon and discard. Skim off the fat from the pan juices. Serve the juices over the roast.