Roast Beef with Caramelized Onions
Couples deserve a good roast dinner just as much as larger families. So enjoy this one without having to eat leftovers for a week.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 9 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. butter
- ½ tsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. fennel seeds
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ¾ lb. bottom round roast, excess fat removed
- ¼ cup beef stock
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
- In a small skillet, melt the butter and add the onions. Stir every 10 minutes for about 40 minutes, or until the onions are golden and caramelized. Stir in the vinegar and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir the pepper, fennel seeds, rosemary, salt, and oregano. Rub it into all sides of the meat. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Place the roast in a 2-quart slow cooker. Add the caramelized onions, stock, and garlic. Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove and slice. Serve topped with the onions. Discard any cooking juices.