Roast Chicken with Okra
The combination of chicken and okra is a classic Greek choice. This dish is ideal in the summer months when okra and tomatoes are in season.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 whole chicken (3 lbs.), cut into pieces, rinsed and dried
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 3⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 lb. fresh okra, rinsed and stems trimmed
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, skinned and grated
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 4 whole allspice berries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Season chicken with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Put the chicken in a large pot over medium-high heat with enough water to just cover it. Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for 30 minutes. Skim the fat off the surface of the water and discard the fat. Remove the chicken from the pot and reserve the liquid. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the onions and cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until they are translucent. Add the okra and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, garlic, allspice, and parsley and cook for 5 minutes. Add just enough of the reserved liquid to cover the okra.
- Transfer the contents of the skillet to a large baking dish. Place the chicken pieces on top and season with the remaining salt and pepper. Cover the baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes. Allow the chicken to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.