Roast Turkey with Bacon
For the sweetest, juiciest bird, try to find a turkey that is between 9 and 12 pounds.
Serves: 15Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 3 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 turkey (10 lb.)
- ¼ lb. butter, softened
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ cup minced fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups turkey stock
- 4 strips bacon for bottom of roasting pan
- Rinse the turkey in cold water and pat dry. Set aside the giblets and wing tips. Mix the butter, herbs, salt, and pepper thoroughly. Tease it under the skin of the breast, working it into the thighs. Be careful not to tear the skin.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Place the bacon on the bottom of the roasting pan and start the turkey breast-side down. After 30 minutes, turn the turkey over and arrange the bacon over the breast and legs. Roast for 3 hours, basting every 20 minutes with the turkey stock, then with the pan juices. Roast until the thickest part is 155°F on a meat thermometer. Let the turkey rest for 15 minutes before carving.