Roast Turkey with Currant Jelly Glaze
This beautifully glazed turkey makes a show-stopping main course for any holiday spread.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 turkey (12 lbs.)
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 3⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. cold butter
- 1⁄2 cup red currant jelly
- 2 Tbsp. dry red wine or water
- 1 tsp. minced rosemary
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground allspice
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Wash turkey inside and out. Remove giblets and neck and reserve for another use. Rub canola oil all over turkey. Sprinkle turkey inside and out with salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper. Cut cold butter into pieces. With your fingers or the handle of a wooden spoon, loosen the skin over the breast of turkey and slide pieces of butter under the skin of turkey.
- Place the turkey, breast side up, on a lightly oiled rack in a shallow roasting pan. Fold wings under turkey and secure drumsticks with twine if they are not already secured. Butter a piece of foil and place it, buttered side down, over breast of turkey. Roast turkey for 1 hour. Remove foil and roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 180°F when inserted deep into thigh. The total roasting time will be about 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine currant jelly, wine, remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, rosemary, cinnamon, and allspice. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Brush on turkey about 20 minutes before done. If turkey begins to brown too much, cover again with lightly buttered foil. Turn off oven when turkey is done and cover with foil. Let rest for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and carve.