Roasted Asparagus and Lemon Soup
Use the last of winter’s lemons and spring’s new asparagus and potatoes in this wholesome soup.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 1⁄2 lbs. asparagus
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 lb. small red-skin potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Arrange asparagus, onion, and potatoes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast for about 30 minutes, turning vegetables and shaking pan occasionally to ensure even roasting, or until the asparagus and onion begin to brown.
- Trim the top 2 inches off the tips of the roasted asparagus and set aside to use as a garnish.
- Add the remaining asparagus stalks, onion, potatoes, chicken stock, lemon juice, and garlic to Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add lemon juice, and salt and cook, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Purée using an immersion blender. Scoop into individual bowls and garnish with asparagus tips.