Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan Cream Sauce and Bacon
Roasting asparagus will intensify its woodsy flavor and make each stalk succulent and flavorful. If you haven't tried this method before, this is your chance to experience something really outstanding.
Created by: Cathy Pollack, Noble Pig, NoblePig.com
Serves: 4Prep: 20 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 bunches asparagus, fibrous ends removed
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, slightly warmed on the stove, divided
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss asparagus with olive oil, salt and black pepper (to taste).
- Place on a large, rimmed foil-lined baking tray and roast in the oven for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, ⅛ cup warmed milk and Dijon mustard in a small bowl.
- Whisk this mixture into the remaining warmed milk.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and whisk in the flour. Continue to whisk for 1 minute, to help remove the flour taste. Turn down the heat if it starts to brown.
- Slowly add the egg mixture, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil. Continue to cook until the sauce has thickened and will coat the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan, lemon zest and cayenne. Add salt to taste.
- Drizzle sauce over asparagus and sprinkle with bacon crumbles. Serve.