Roasted Beet and Apple Salad
Beets are a good source of vitamin A. This colorful salad is great for a brunch buffet.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. unpeeled beets, washed and trimmed of green stems
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. minced shallot
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1½ Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 cups mache or baby arugula
- 1 large apple, quartered, cored, and sliced
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Wrap the whole beets in aluminum foil and roast in the middle of the oven until tender, 1 to 1½ hours. Unwrap beets and let cool.
- While the beets are roasting, make the dressing by stirring together the oil, shallot, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, and salt in a large bowl.
- Slip the skins from the beets and halve any large beets. (Wear plastic gloves while peeling and working with the beets, as they will stain your fingers.) Cut the beets into ¼-inch-thick slices and add to the dressing; toss to coat.
- Arrange the beets on a bed of the mache and drizzle with any dressing remaining in the bowl. Top with the apple. Serve immediately.