Roasted Beets with Sautéed Beet Greens
Purchase fresh beets with their leaves still attached for this recipe. Roast beets until tender and serve them with lemon juice and olive oil over the blanched greens.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 small beets (1 lb.), greens trimmed and reserved
- 4 quarts water
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Trim off beet greens and root ends. Place beets in a baking dish with water. Cover with aluminum foil or tight-fitting lid. Roast for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a knife pierces the center easily. Cool.
- Meanwhile, wash the beet greens thoroughly and trim stems, leaving about a 1⁄4-inch stem on the leaves. Bring a large saucepan with 4 quarts of water to boil. Stir in a tablespoon of salt and beet greens. Blanch for 2 minutes. Drain.
- Peel beets, cut in half lengthwise (stem to root), and then slice into half circles. In a large bowl, toss beets with olive oil, lemon juice, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Serve beets warm over blanched beet greens.