Roasted Bone Broth
Once again your slow cooker comes to the rescue to make a rich and flavorful beef stock.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 19 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 3 lbs. beef bones and trimmings
- 10 cups water
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped celery leaves
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place beef bones, onions, and carrots on baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes or until bones begin to brown. Transfer to a 5–6 quart slow cooker.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, potatoes, celery leaves, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and thyme to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 10 hours. When stock tastes rich, strain and refrigerate overnight. The next day, remove the fat from the surface of the broth and discard.