Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Roasting vegetables gives them a whole new flavor by bringing out the natural sugars as they caramelize.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 large carrots
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄8 tsp. white pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove leaves from cauliflower, wash, trim, and cut into florets. Peel carrots and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Toss cauliflower, onion, carrots, and garlic with olive oil in large roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt.
- Roast for 50 minutes, until cauliflower is lightly golden, stirring twice during roasting time.
- Scrape all of the vegetables into large soup pot. Rinse roasting pan with 1⁄2 cup chicken stock, scraping to remove browned bits. Add to soup pot along with remaining chicken stock and thyme. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and, using an immersion blender, purée. Add milk and pepper and stir well with wire whisk. Heat until soup steams, and serve.