Roasted Cornish Game Hens with Stuffing
This dish is delicious. The pears marry well with the birds and with the mustard cream sauce.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 small game hens (1 1⁄2 lbs. each)
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large pear, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 2 cups corn bread stuffing mix
- 2 tsp. dried sage
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery tops
- 1 tsp. celery salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Rinse the game hens and pat dry with paper towels. Salt and pepper the cavities of the hens. Rub with vegetable oil and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the pears, cornbread stuffing mix, sage, chicken broth, wine, lemon zest, celery tops, celery salt, pepper, and butter.
- Divide the stuffing between the birds, pressing into the cavities from the rear.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Roast for 1 hour. Make sure a meat thermometer reaches at least 165°F in the thickest part of the thigh. Remove from oven and rest the hens, covered, on a warm platter for 10 minutes. Serve hot.