Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Bruschetta Topping
To make this delicious bruschetta topping, roast slices of eggplant with tomatoes and garlic under tender and fragrant. Chop the vegetables and blend them with fresh lemon juice and salt. Serve on slices of toasted baguette.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and sliced into 1⁄2-inch rounds
- 6 Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 baguette, sliced and toasted
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme, each cut into 4 pieces
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Drizzle half of the olive oil on the bottom of a roasting pan and arrange eggplant and 2 tomatoes in the oil. Drizzle remaining olive oil over eggplant. Roast for 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle onion and garlic over eggplant and tomatoes; stir, return pan to oven, and roast for 15 minutes longer, or until eggplant and tomatoes are soft and onion and garlic are tender.
- Cool for about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large cutting board and chop until the mixture reaches a chunky but even consistency. Transfer to a bowl and stir in lemon juice and salt. Chop the remaining 4 tomatoes.
- Scoop onto baguette slices and garnish with the remaining tomatoes and thyme.
- Serve immediately.