Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Stack
This pretty stack of roasted eggplant, roasted tomato, and cheese goes with almost any meal, and can even stand alone as a main course.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium eggplant, stemmed and sliced crosswise into 1⁄2-inch rounds
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced crosswise into 1⁄4-inch rounds
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 6 oz. grated mozzarella cheese
- 6 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the sliced eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil on both sides.
- Place eggplant slices on the baking sheet 1 inch apart. Top each one with 2 basil leaves. Add a tomato slice on top of each piece of eggplant. Mix oregano with remaining salt and sprinkle evenly over tomatoes. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon mozzarella on top of each vegetable stack, and top each with 1 tablespoon Parmesan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and cheese is browned. Serve immediately.