Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Cauliflower
These potatoes are excellent without gravy. For even more flavor, sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese or grated Parmesan.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 tsp. olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb. potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 small head cauliflower, broken into small pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄8 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 2 tsp. butter
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush the garlic cloves with the olive oil and place in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 1 hour or until the cloves are soft. Remove the skin and cut the cloves into fourths.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add the salt and boil for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain.
- While the potatoes are cooking, place cauliflower in a large pot. Cover with water and boil for about 10 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender. Drain.
- Combine all the ingredients and whip until fluffy. If the mixture is too thin, add the buttermilk gradually until the whipped mixture reaches the desired consistency.