Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
The amount of garlic in this recipe may seem huge, but the garlic mellows and sweetens as it roasts. All your guests will taste is heavenly, rich, light potatoes.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 3 whole heads plus 2 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lbs. red bliss potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 8 Tbsp. butter
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Wrap the whole garlic heads in aluminum foil and place in the center of the oven. Roast until garlic is very soft and yields to gentle finger pressure, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cut the garlic bulbs in half horizontally. Using your hands, squeeze out the roasted garlic and push it through a sieve.
- Peel and thinly slice the remaining 2 cloves garlic. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté garlic, turning often, until brown and crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Place potatoes and enough water to cover by 1 inch in a saucepan; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until very tender. Drain well; return to the pot over moderate heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute to steam off any excess moisture. Set aside.
- Heat butter and milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until the butter melts; pour over cooked potatoes and add puréed garlic, salt, and pepper. Mash with a potato masher until smooth.
- Serve hot with fried garlic slices.