Roasted Garlic Spread
To save time or when you don’t have a blender, you can use 1 cup of a good-quality store-bought mayonnaise in place of making it from scratch. Add dried herbs of your choice for extra flavor. Serve this spread on sandwiches, over grilled vegetables or meats, or swirled into a thick purée of hot lentil soup.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 head garlic
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wrap garlic in aluminum foil; bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Remove foil, and slice across flat end of head. Squeeze softened cloves out the end into a small bowl; set aside.
- Pour 1⁄4 cup of oil into a blender with egg, lemon juice, vinegar, and salt. Turn on blender; pour remaining oil into mixture in a slow stream. The mayonnaise will thicken as you pour the oil. Add roasted garlic to mayonnaise; pulse to combine. Run blender additional 30 seconds after garlic has been added.
- Keep mixture refrigerated in a glass container 5 to 7 days.