Roasted Heirloom Tomato Soup
Using roasted heirloom tomatoes gives this soup a richer tomato flavor.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 3 lbs. heirloom tomatoes, cored and halved
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Arrange the tomatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Roast for 20 minutes.
- Press roasted tomatoes through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl to remove seeds and skin.
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes, until soft and onions are transparent. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the stock and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir in the roasted tomato pulp, and cook gently for 20 minutes.
- Off the heat use an immersion blender to blend soup until smooth with some chunks.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and serve immediately.