Roasted Pork "Al Mojo"
This tender, juicy and flavorful roasted pork is the quintessential Cuban centerpiece for any holiday feast! For extra authenticity, make your own mojo marinade.
Serves: 10Prep: 3 hours 30 minutesCook: 5 hours 30 minutesTotal: 9 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 30 cloves garlic, divided
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup Kroger® Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 pounds pork shoulder, boneless with skin-on
- In a food processor, place 20 garlic cloves, onion, salt, orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, dry sherry, olive oil, oregano, bay leaves, paprika and cumin. Process thoroughly.
- Pierce pork with knife and insert remaining 10 garlic cloves in poked holes. Place pork shoulder, fattiest side up, in an open roasting pan. Pour orange juice mixture over pork. Cover and let sit in refrigerator 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place pan in oven, uncovered, and cook 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F; roast at least 4 -5 hours, until internal temperature reaches 170°F to 180°F. Every half an hour during cooking, spoon marinade over pork. Cover with aluminum foil if meat starts getting too dark.
- Let rest at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.