Roasted Portobello Mushroom Burger
These meaty mushrooms do a great stand-in for the traditional burger. Use the largest you can find.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, caps only
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 slices red onion
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 iceberg lettuce leaves
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Using a spoon, scrape out the black “gills” on the bottom of each mushroom cap. Peel off the “skin” from the top of the caps. (This is easily done with your hands.)
- Mix together the Worcestershire sauce and olive oil and brush over the top and bottom of the mushroom caps. Place the mushrooms stem-side up on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Assemble the burgers as you would a traditional hamburger.