Roasted Red Pepper Soup
If you have a grill, try preparing your own sweet red peppers. Cut 3 peppers, brush with oil, and grill until tender.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 3 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 jars (7 1⁄2 oz.) roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 small zucchini, diced and lightly steamed
- Sauté the onion in oil in a pan over medium heat until soft, then stir in the flour. Add mixture to the slow cooker. Combine with the red peppers, sugar, broth, salt, and pepper in the slow cooker.
- Cover and heat on a low setting for 3 hours.
- Take 2 cups of the soup and move to a bowl. Puree the remaining soup in a food processor and return to the slow cooker along with the soup not pureed.
- Half an hour before serving, stir in the sherry and cream. Top the soup with the diced zucchini.