Roasted Root Vegetable Soup
This recipe can serve as either a hearty side dish or an entrée.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 2 parsnips
- 3 carrots
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 yellow onions
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 dried bay leaves
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- Fresh dill, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Peel (as necessary) and chop all the vegetables.
- Pour the oil into a large roasting pan. Place the vegetables, thyme sprigs, and rosemary sprig in the pan and roast until al dente, probably 30–45 minutes. Remove from oven, discard thyme and rosemary sprigs, and let cool slightly.
- In a blender, purée the roasted vegetables thoroughly in small batches. Add vegetable stock to the blender as needed. Pour the mixture into a stockpot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Stir in the salt and pepper and continue to simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Serve; garnish with fresh dill.