Roasted Salsa Verde Chicken Nachos
Bursting with fresh flavor, these nachos feature better-for-you ingredients that the entire family will enjoy! Make this recipe even easier by shopping all the ingredients online and picking them up curbside or have them delivered right to your door.
Serves: 4Prep: 10 minutesCook: 1 hour 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 pounds ripe tomatillos
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and cut in half, divided
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 lime, juiced
- 7 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups cilantro, loosely packed
- 1 1⁄2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces pepper Jack cheese, grated
- 3 ounces Cotija cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 bag of your favorite tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Arrange tomatillos, 2 onion halves and jalapeño on a baking sheet and roast until charred in spots. About 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a blender or food processor add the roasted vegetables along with 1 cup cilantro, lime juice, 5 garlic cloves and ½ teaspoon salt. Pulse until all ingredients are combined, but still slightly chunky. Adjust salt and lime as needed. If you don’t want your salsa to be hot, seed the pepper prior to roasting.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Can be stored for up to 2 weeks.
- In a medium-size pot add chicken breasts and enough water to cover. Add bay leaves, chili powder, cumin, remaining garlic, remaining salt, pepper and remaining onion. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer. Continue to simmer for 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from the pot and allow to cool slightly. Using two forks, shred the chicken completely. Toss with half of the salsa verde and set aside.
- Preheat oven to a low broil.
- On a large baking sheet, spread out chips and sprinkle with the pepper Jack cheese. Top with chicken and broil until cheese melts. About 5 minutes. Keep a close eye though, ovens vary in temperature.
- Top with Cotija cheese, avocado, remaining cilantro, radishes and serve with sour cream and extra salsa verde. Enjoy!