Roasted Tomato Bisque with Crème Fraîche
Roasting gives tomatoes a deeper, richer flavor. For added smokiness, you can also roast tomatoes in a grill basket over hot coals.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 10 ripe plum tomatoes
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. mixed Italian herb seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ⅔ cup crème fraîche
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil leaves
- Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise; place in roasting pan lined with nonstick foil. Combine olive oil, garlic, and Italian herbs; drizzle oil mixture over tomatoes and toss to coat. Place tomatoes cut side down in 350°F oven; roast 40 minutes. When tomatoes are cool enough to handle, remove skin. Coarsely chop tomatoes.
- In a soup pot, heat butter over medium-high heat; sauté green onion and parsley 3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and broth; bring mixture to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Working in batches, purée in a blender or food processor. Strain mixture back into soup pot; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Whisk in heavy cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat. Ladle into shallow bowls; garnish with dollops of crème fraîche and basil leaves.