Roasted Tomato Soup with Parsley Pesto
This soup couldn’t be simpler to make. Bonus: it’s loaded with beautiful colors and filled with sweet and savory flavors.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 2 cups chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 small shallot, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan
- 1 Tbsp. chopped walnuts
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook until they release their juices and are softened, about 10 minutes. Pour in the broth and add the basil and oregano. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into a blender and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Process slowly at first, then increase speed and process until smooth. Pour into 4 bowls.
- Place the parsley, shallot, lemon juice, Parmesan, and walnuts in a mini-food processor. Process until smooth. Top each bowl of soup with the pesto.